Business in the Community together with Ford Foundation are bringing together 80 disengaged young people to take part in a day of interactive and engaging activities to help them realise their potential.
Hosted by Humanutopia, a dynamic event company that delivers inspiring school workshops - Bridging the Gap to Success - will target pupils that would benefit from additional extra support to improve their confidence, raise their aspirations and develop their soft skills. The event will also open their eyes to the world of work and career possibilities, whilst helping pupils understand the importance of individual qualities, as well as formal qualifications.
By the end of this event we hope these young people will have the power and potential to build their own successful future.
Venue: Coventry University London, Dagenham Civic Centre, Rainham Road North, Dagenham RM10 7BN
Day: Wednesday 18th April 2018
Time: 08:00 – 15:00
What is a business volunteer required to do?
Business volunteers will support young people in recognising their qualities and developing their confidence by working together on short activities and sharing their personal experiences. The group will have students of mixed academic abilities from four different schools in the borough of Barking and Dagenham. Social Enterprise - Humanutopia will be leading and facilitating all activities throughout the day. The role of the business volunteer will be:
• To listen – young people will be open about barriers they face and it is important they are heard.
• To talk about your role/job and how you got to where you are today – it doesn’t matter if you haven’t had a straight forward career, it is incredibly valuable for young people to meet people with different careers and backgrounds.
• To be honest and open about the world of work and expectations of business - it will help young people understand what having a job involves.
• To talk about the importance of individual attributes / personal qualities as well as qualifications in the work place. This will be extremely valuable for young people and it will help boost their confidence.
• To engage young people in conversation, to help inspire and motivate them and encourage them to be more confident in their abilities.
• To help students feel at ease and give positive feedback.
The whole day will be facilitated by the Humanutopia team so you are not required to prepare or bring anything with you, other than a willingness to share your experiences. Most importantly however, be enthusiastic and inspirational.
If you are interested not only in giving back to your community and engaging with an issue you are not exposed to - volunteering is for you.
• Draw on your own experience to motivate and inspire pupils and help them channel their ideas.
• Develop your leadership and facilitation skills by working with a group of students.
• Gain exposure to a key social issue in London.
• Spend an afternoon doing something exciting, new and socially responsible.
To find out more email Simona Lungu at: Simona.Lungu@bitc.org.uk
The event will take place ahead of Business in the Community's Responsible Business Week.
Responsible Business Week (23-27 April 2018) is an annual awareness campaign which celebrates the brighter side of business by sharing great responsible business success stories.